Investment Analyst @ Stoic Venture Capital
Stoic Venture Capital Fund (Fund I)
Registered Early Stage Venture Capital Limited Partnership (ESVCLP). Our fund is unique, we operate in two funnels: a) Co-investment with partner Uniseed b) Direct Investment. We collaborate closely with Uniseed, the venture arm of the top five University Institutions in Australia. We are a specialised Venture Capital Fund, investing in deep tech and life science startups. There are 22 portfolio companies in Fund I, of which 3 have exited.
Stoic AS Venture Capital (Fund II)
Registered Early Stage Venture Capital Limited Partnership (ESVCLP). Capital raise for Fund II is currently in progress. This will bring total Funds Under Management (FUM) up to c.$50m-70m. Fund II is a continuation of the vision and unique operation founded in our first fund.
Level 19, Gateway Building, 1 Macquarie Place Sydney NSW 2000 (Circular Quay)
Founding Partners: Guy Hedley and Geoff Waring
Investment Manager: Harikesh Pushpapathan
We’re on the hunt for an early-stage investor to join our tight-knit, growing team. This is a challenging position, ideal for a highly motivated and enthusiastic self-starter who has initiative and can work with light supervision. If you or someone you know is passionate about the commercialisation of university research, we’d love to hear from you.
Stoic VC has been supporting deep tech and life science companies since our 2019 vintage. We were founded upon a partnership with Australia’s longest standing venture fund, Uniseed. Uniseed is the venture arm for five of the top research institutions across ANZ, including CSIRO. Since then we have backed more than 20 companies, a product of both this partnership and our own direct investment funnel. This includes companies like ENA Respiratory, Kinoxis Therapeutics, Certa Therapeutics, Forcite and Bioscout. Our team hails a diverse background from ex-financial experts to ex-academics, but the common thread we share is our passion for research translation. Australian academia harbours incredible IP and we are proud to help make the transition from lab-to-market a reality. We’re conviction-first investors, partnering with companies at their earlist and supporting them on the road ahead.
With our new fund, and capital raise in-train, we’re looking for someone willing to hit the ground running while maintaining an eagerness to learn and innovate within the firm.
This is a high-growth opportunity to kickstart a career in deep tech venture capital.
As an Investment Analyst, you will be responsible for supporting the team across all activities of our venture capital firm. This will involve identifying and evaluating investment opportunities in the life science & deep tech sector and supporting those companies as they grow. You will contribute to a strong culture thats committed to the success of the companies we invest in and the returns we deliver to our LP’s.
Your role and responsibilities:
In broad strokes, your responsibilities will be to:
- Facilitate deal origination.
- Manage and progress inbound opportunities that come through our pipeline.
- Actively seek out opportunities to build out our pipeline.
- Analyse proposals from startups seeking early stage financing and justify recommendations in meetings and investment committees.
- Assist in the due diligence process by analysing company materials, financial statements and market trends.
- Prepare Quarterly reports to both regulating bodies and our investors (Limited Partners).
- Work with portfolio companies to monitor performance, and provide advice and introductions where needed.
- Network with other investors, operators and founders to support our fast growing deep tech sector.
- Collaborate and maintain relationships with key players in the Australian research ecosystem including academics, research hubs and incubators.
- Work with the Stoic team to build our brand and culture.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a field you can articulate a relevancy is desired.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience investing in company equities, working at a startup or a field you believe is relevant to the position.
- Ability to evaluate complex business models in regards to their R&D, Intellectual Property, target market, unique value proposition and go-to-market strategy.
- Ability to interact with senior management and build strong relationships with investors and other stakeholders.
- Systems thinker who thrives on working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Can context switch throughout the day.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail. Passion for deep technology and life sciences.
- Willingness to get involved in the many different aspects of the venture capital business as required.
Seeding the future as a Stoic.
This position is full time, and you’ll ideally be based in Sydney with flexibility to WFH. You will get the opportunity to travel to conferences, startup events, portfolio company meetings across Australia as well as spending time at the Universities themselves. If you are a critical thinker with a strong scientific or financial background, and are passionate about investing in the deep tech sector, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. This role offers personal growth and learning, and the opportunity to work with experienced venture capital partners in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
How to apply
Complete our application form below.
Applications will close 24th of June.